Spray Tan Prep and Maintenance
Here are some helpful guidelines that will help you get the most out of your spray tan, from preparing to appointment to maintaining the look of your tan in the following
Preparing for your spray tan:
- Make sure you shower, shave and exfoliate your skin prior to coming in for your spray tan appointment.
- Your spray tanwill work best on clean skin. Be sure your skin is free from any deodorant, perfume, make-up, body oils or lotion, as these may react with the tanning agents.
- Wear loose, dark clothing the day of your spray tan. This will help speed the drying process, and if there are any marks left on your clothes, they will be easily washed away (and most of the time not even seen).
- You may bring a swimsuit (preferably dark in color) to wear during the spray tan, otherwise you are free to use our mesh disposable undergarments for modesty.
Immediately after your spray tan:
- Keep your skin completely dry, wear loose clothing and avoid contact with water. Also, avoid activities that make you perspire such as exercise.
- Do not apply any products over the developing tan. Allow tan to develop for at least 6-8 hours (overnight is best) before rinsing off and applying any products to your skin.
- Your tan will continue to get darker throughout the day after being sprayed. This is the color guide setting in. After you shower, your tan will look even and more natural.
After your tan has developed (6-8 hours after application):
- Rinse off remaining color guide with warm water. Don’t worry: this is not taking away your tan!
- We do not recommend using very hot water for your shower to ensure your tan lasts longer.
- Make sure to pat your skin dry and do not use a loofah if possible. Do not rub roughly on your skin.
- Avoid products that contain alpha hydroxyl acids, as they can strip the tan, as can chlorine found in pools & hot tubs.
- Use a daily moisturizer morning and night to help maintain your spray tan. Your technician will recommend Ph-balanced products that are best for you to prolong your tan and maximize the results of your service.
- Everyone’s skin is different, but for most people the spray tan will begin to fade in about a week. If you are following the necessary guidelines to prolong your tan, it can last up to a month.
- Once your tan begins to fade, you will see that the skin looks dry and almost spotty in some areas. This is perfectly normal. To avoid the spotty fading, it is recommended that you use the recommended products throughout the life of your tan.
When you are ready, exfoliate with a recommended scrub and call Elite Aesthetics Wellness Spa to schedule your next spray tan!